Sunday, May 8, 2011

Things I LOVE about my MOM


My mom is the most selfless person I know. She puts others before herself every time. I have seen her bend over backwards 1000's of times for others. She balances this selflessness well, because she is not a door mat either. She has a heart of gold.

She is ALWAYS positive. I grew up knowing that I could come to her for help, comfort, or support. No matter what is going on in my life, she reminds me to have faith and that things will work out for the best. She doesn't "fluff" up the truth either; she just keeps it real with a positive twist.

My mom didn't really have a mother. Her mother was ill and in and out of hospitals until she passed away when my mother was in her early 20's. I think because my Mom didn't have a mother, she GIVES everything she can to her children and grandchildren. She could be bitter and resentful, but she has turned a negative into a positive. She has built a legacy of LOVE. Somehow without an example of how to be a mother, her sweet and obedient spirit, brought 6 children into the world, and was/is an amazing mother and grandmother.

My mom is a night owl. The late hours of the night, or wee hours of the morning, are when she performed her best. I don't know if she wanted this habit, or if she had to have it this way with 6 children... but I do know that I have inherited this gene. She was always up late working on a lesson, paying bills, or planning the next day. Yet, somehow she was always up the next day, making breakfast and getting us off to seminary or school. You can still find her up late--on facebook, thinking about her children or talking to one of them on the phone, planning the family reunion, working on a church assignment or paying bills. Some things never change!

She is a great hostess. She knows how to plan and cook for a crowd. She holds nothing back, and often cooks for a army when only a platoon is coming. She is warm and inviting and makes everyone feel comfortable.

My mom has taught me to appreciate the diversity in others. Growing up military, we were exposed to many different races, nationalities, and religions, etc. She never saw that as a negative and taught us to learn and grow from every experience we could. Going along with this, my mom taught me not to fear change. This came from the fact that we moved every 2-3 years growing up. She taught me never to be satisfied with sitting on the sidelines even if I was the "new kid." She taught me to go for what I wanted! And if I got it, she cheered for me. And if I failed, she held me and told me that it was going to be ok. I love her for that.

She has supported me in every endeavor. From gymnastics meets, school plays, swim meets, HS elections, cheerleading tryouts, fundraisers, job changes, boyfriends, taking a year off from college, returning and graduating from college, getting married, moving away, my colitis diagnosis, and being at my childrens births. She HAS BEEN there. I love that.

My mom loves the Savior. She lives what she believes. I LOVE THAT.

Happy Mother's Day Mom, I love you.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. We really have the best Mom in the world! Well said sister. XOXO

    ReplyDelete